Sunday, May 4, 2008

22 April 2008 - Life in Dodoma

I was wrong about the expat life in Dodoma! Gareth found it as he popped into the Anglican cathedral and introduced himself. In fact, quite a bit came of that visit: a visit to World Vision; a visit to a workshop for 70 local priests; a dinner with three Anglican missionaries… The McCanns are wonderful people. Maggie and Sandy and Martin were incredible hosts, are doing awesome work here, and are hoping to further boost our cause through their connections in the States. It is always refreshing for us to meet people who buy into this project and want to get involved.

We did just 30 km in the afternoon today – it feels a little like we got let out of school early! That said, we have two very tough days of cycling ahead: 127km and then 100km on dirt roads, where hills will be the norm. Somehow though, everyone is buzzing! Everyone is on such a high, team morale is right up there, dedication is there, we’re focusing on two things: cycling and raising money. Perhaps we can smell home!

We are currently cooking a little pasta on gas stoves. I am listening to Bach and watching kids count to five in English. I am having a moment! – things don’t get much better than this.

Oh ja! I had a mouse on my foot last night! I woke up to one in my bed. Turned on the light (although my writing belies my calm demeanour!). Made sure it was gone. Went back to sleep and then not more than half an hour later, I woke again to – it on my foot! Im quite serious. It then got caught in the mosquitoe net. I screamed and ran to find one of the guys. I am a gimp. But wow. This afternoon as I set off for the ride I noticed that it’d been drinking from my camelpak. Little gnaw marks on the mouthpiece served as a pretty reminder of my late night visitor.

No comments: