Friday, May 23, 2008

19 May 2008 - Zambia is great!

157km to Nyimba. That sounds worse than it is - we had a tail wind and motored it. However, it is at least six hours in the saddle, and whichever way you look at it, time in the saddle counts for something. Not to worry though, it is only 100km to Luwanga bridge tomorrow and apparently there are hot springs there.

It is now 7:50 and I am in bed and about to turn the light off! Madness. I am in a room with bottle green satin duvets and some pretty dodgy wallpaper. It gives the picture of Whitney Houston that was on the wall of my room last night a run for its money on the steaminess scale!

Zambia is great. In fact, more specifically, Zambians are great! They speak perfect English (are you noticing a theme here?!) and the are all smiles and friendliness. It is awesome. As we cycle past, kids run screaming towards us, or jump on the spot as if they have lost all bodily control. But they are screaming "How are you?" as opposed to "Give me my money!" - small things that can change your perception of a country.

It is a country that seems like it has a future. At least to me on my bike. Sure, there are towns that we pass through on a Monday afternoon and every person in the town is drunk out of their minds. But I have to hope that there is more to the story than I am able to understand.

We are desperately trying to get to Lusaka on thursday night and hence the crazy distances. That effectively means cycling 750km in 6 days. Why thursday? Friday can then be a day of internet that we can catch people in the office and get some work done... plus it leaves Saturday free to watch the Sharks win... A large portion of our time is currently spent planning the South African events that we are hosting en route. In fact, it is the same old story for me, when my mind is on something it keeps ticking at strange times and I cant turn it off! Awesome for getting things done. But maddening when one wants to just relax, take in an awesome day on the bike and forget about the heap of mails to press, corporate and personal contacts that need to get sent. Soon. It feels like we actually have no rest days on the trip - all free time is spent planning events or emailing corporates for donations. I need a holiday. Classic!

I am so happy to be here though.

Oh yes, I had a crazy shower experience tonight. It was the most public shower I have taken. A bucket of warm water, in a prison-styled cubicle with no doors. As I walked in a woman was merrily showering in the first cubicle completely unconcerned. So I attempted to do likewise. Though I did take my glasses off so that I wasn't able to see who it was that walked in and out.

As they say: ignorance is bliss.

Great shower in fact.

So fed and clean and in bed. 'Nite.

No comments: