Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hazy dawn


I wake early, hoping to catch the morning prayers echoing over Cairo – I wish to deliver my humble request for the appearance of a certain red wallet left in Heathrow security yesterday morning. The rectangular masses seem to float suspended in the early haze. Satellite dishes aloft every roof and clinging to the sides of every building, face the sun, offering prayers carried on the sound of car horns.

On driving into Cairo we gained perspective of the size of the city – endless. Now, as I sit on a balcony overlooking the northern capital, I understand the phrase “concrete jungle” with a definitive level of appreciation. This is something far beyond anything I have seen. If Africa has a heartbeat, this is a major artery. The city is noisy and chaotic with no rules to speak of, but it heaves with life.

God please send me my wallet :)

No comments: