Sunday, January 20, 2008

8 January 2008 – Today!


I am in a room which has a semblance of order, two sleeping men, and three fully laden bicycles. Today three years of dreams will find their reality and we start cycling to Cape Town. 12 500 km. That is longer than I can imagine and holds endless possibility for the spectacularly good and spectacularly awful.

My Bicycle feels a little like a motorbike. Last night, fully laden, I sat on it. I wanted to do a little test run down the corridor of the hotel to check that all was in order and that I could actually ride it with all my life packed onto it. It was a very scary experience! - I have a sleeping mat tucked under the front handlebars, a small pannier in the front with a few personals, and a 25 litre pannier bag on the back wheel which has a sleeping bag and spare tyre bunjied on. I then have a camelpak backpack with things like travel guides, warm clothes and a few others. In my back pannier I am carrying the team computer on which I am typing out this blog. It is a tiny, 7 inch computer with a fold-up keyboard. I have 2 litres of water on my back and another 2 on the bike. I figure my bike is carrying 30 kilograms extra weight, which in effect, means so do my legs – a scary thought!

No comments: