Sunday, January 20, 2008

19 January 2008 – Tasting the tarmac!

Edfu to Aswan – 117 kilometers. At about 80 kilometers the road turned into a 5 kilometre stretch of black, wet tar. My front wheel slipped to the right, I overcorrected sliding to the left, and in no time, had taken a neat duckdive into the tar! It gave new meaning to “stopping traffic!” The police car behind me erupted with a Black-taxi load-full of policemen, who rushed to my assistance with concern for my well-being! The right side of my body was quite literally painted with a tar brush!

My first fall of the trip! I have a nice little roastie on the right side of my body but I couldn’t have asked for an easier way to fall. The wet tar aided a slide that ensured that my legs didn’t get too cut up. So all is good and I have a new set of battle scars to replace my faded camel-bruised left leg!

No comments: