Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A monumental day! - 14 June 2008

This is a massive day for us. Ice has frozen to the tents and fingers ache with cold. Leg warmers, scarves, beanies and gloves – it is a chilly welcome into sunny South Africa!
The border post is utter chaos! After crossing the Limpopo and a little photoshoot with a local security guard, we join a ridiculous queue. The idea was to kill today’s 80 km quickly in order to make the Ireland rugby game at 11:30. That is unlikely now. This is the kind of chaos that has caused many disgruntled South Africans to mumble at the inefficiencies of …. Not me! No-one can wipe the smile off my face today! I feel closer to the large South African mama who is doing a little jig 100 meters down the road than the irritated woman standing in the queue with me.

I say it again: “I’m home.”

No comments: