Thursday, February 7, 2008

30 January - A welcome day of rest!

We arrived in Dongola this evening. 70 kilometers. It has been a monumental effort to get through the last four days. We knew that it would be tough and we had prepared ourselves mentally for the challenge. But, having dwindled to a team of four with Twig and Ollie going on to meet us in Dongola, and having to cover significant distances in loose sand, it was far tougher than we had imagined. I am so happy to have that stretch behind me. I am both mentally and physically stronger. And a good deal dirtier too! Again I welcome a cold shower – it has been nearly two weeks since I have had access to warm water! Since then I have managed to crack two cold showers and a swim in the Nile. No sign of crocodiles yet.

Our accommodation in Dongola is incredibly comfortable by our standards. It has a door with a key, and an en suite bathroom. This town feels like a haven and I am taking full advantage of a rest day to recover, do some laundry, clean my bike, and get in touch with family and friends. Thanks to Chinese oil interests, we have 500 km of tarmac to Khartoum – the dust is largely over!

No comments: