Thursday, February 7, 2008

28 January - Tough times continue

There is dust everywhere. I can’t quite manage to get it out from underneath my fingernails. It lines my eyebrows and despite best efforts, my clothes are filthy. If only my mum could see me now! It is like brown talcum powder. Everywhere.

Cycling on it is something different. It swallows the tyre, and leaves a little wake as one ploughs through. With a good measure of mind power and visualisation, I can liken it to snowboarding as one floats through the soft earth. You cycle with momentum, hit it head on, pedal through it and do your best to ignore the slides… And when you fall – fall softly into a fluff of dirty powder. It is beautiful in a strangely twisted way.

Today was 65 kilometers in the saddle – a very tough day of cycling. I am extremely tired, I haven’t been feeling well, and am physically and emotionally shattered. This afternoon was a low; it is a continuous effort to keep physical and emotional strains separate.

No comments: